28 September 2011

the shadows on the wall

The shadow fear has hit like a ton of bricks and out of no where, it seems.  My little one first pointed to a shadow in her room the other night.  She pointed and shrieked to the shadow of the lamp on the ceiling.  When my husband told me about the incident, I dismissed it as a one-time occurrence and thought nothing more of it.  Early one morning this week, I was awakened long before the sun by the same high-pitched cry...the cry of fear and desperation.  As I dashed to her room to see what could be wrong,  I never thought a shadow could be the culprit.  After changing the position of her night-light and rearranging things in her room that could create potential shadow problems, I thought everything would be fine.  
Driving the car this morning, I had to pull over to the side of the road when uncontrollable crying and screaming came from my little one in the backseat.  I couldn't imagine what the problem might be.  Maybe her little finger got caught in some part of the car-seat?  Maybe she dropped her little lovey?  Nope, it was her shadow on the side of the car door that was scaring her.  Every time she moved, the shadow moved and she screamed harder.  Finally we placed Elmo between her and the door to block the shadows.  The poor child held onto that Elmo until we got home and I could "rescue" her from the backseat.  
All day, we practiced waving at our shadows.  We practiced waving outside and inside and when I explained that WE make the shadows, she seemed indifferent.  

Tonight, when I went in to check on her before going to bed, I noticed that the rocking chair was oddly shoved to the far corner of the room.  I guess it was moved because it was making too many shadows.  
Poor kid.


1 comment:

Gabrielle said...

Poor thing!! Who would have thought she would be scared of shadows!