15 May 2015

the bouquets and clippings

As cliche as it may sound, I do love flowers and especially bringing fresh flowers into my home.  There is something about their living presence that seems to bring such warmth and comfort to any space.  This week, my Mother's Day bouquet, that was thrust into an old mason jar and set on the tray in the middle of the table by my sweet husband and children, sprung to life midweek as the roses opened up to show their rich and contrasting colors. 
I do love taking care of bouquets the way my grandmother taught me.  Doting on bouquets of flowers was something she loved to do and something she got quite good at being the mother of 5 boys spread out all over the world.  Each holiday and birthday brought lots of flowers her way.  
She would change the water daily and make a fresh cut to their stems as she carefully pulled out any stems that began to show even the tiniest bit of brown.  This simple magic seemed to make her bouquets last for many more days than the average bouquet someone gets and does nothing with.
By the end of a week or two, the original bouquet might be half it's original size but just as beautiful as the day it was received.  
To my delight, our dear piano teacher met me with some fresh gardenia clippings from her garden today.  Their delicate and fresh scent is utter delight and my preferred floral scent.  I adore the gift of fresh clippings from a garden.  To me, it is worth so much knowing someone nurtured those blossoms and took the time to clip them for me.  When I taught school, one student always brought me roses from her grandmother's garden wrapped in a wet towel and foil.  They were the most thoughtful gift that I remember so fondly many years later.  Next time you are in need of a little gift, head out to the garden and clip some flowers.  Even wrapped in a wet paper towel and foil, they are the easiest and most considerate gift.

1 comment:

Gabrielle said...

I also love flowers!! I love gardenias too!