01 March 2015

how easily I forgot

I had forgotten how pitifully hard it is to take the binky away.  With the third, we waited a year longer then we did with our second.  Part of that was laziness and another factor was the thumb.  Our second began to suck her thumb after we took the binky away at 18 months.  We wanted to try not to repeat that with our third.  But mostly, I dreaded taking away her sole source of comfort.

When a dear friend came to visit for the week, she suggested taking her to Build-a-Bear to make a bear and stuff the binkies inside.  I happily agreed because I felt like it took the pressure off me.  That Wednesday morning, she woke up and we collected all the binkies from all their various hiding spots.  After zipping them up in a bag for transport, I explained that she would make a bear for these binkies.  She didn't seem too concerned about the binkies but was so excited about the bear.  My hopes were that the idea of making her own bear would lessen the shock of getting rid of the mound of binkies we had collected.


When we arrived, I could tell my girl was a little hesitant.  My friend was wonderful and suggested that she take my girl in and accomplish the binky bear task with her while I busied myself at another store.  I left them at the door and quickly snapped a few pictures before I nervously dashed to a store.

Within 15 minutes, it was done!  All the binkies were inside her new bear which was firmly sewed up.  Other than being scared about the sound of the stuffing machine, she gladly helped stuff each one of her beloved binkies inside that honey-colored bear.  She was very excited about her new bear!

She proudly held her bear and showed me how she could feel the binkies inside.  I was so relieved that it went so smoothly.

When we arrived home, I knew sleeping would be a new problem.  She asked me many times that afternoon for her binkies and cried on and off for 2 hours during her usual naptime.  I was a mess and almost ran to the store to get some more binkies to end the hurt in my heart.  Any mother will tell you how sad it is to see your sweet child relearn how to fall asleep without the one item they have used since birth to soothe.  Thankfully, my sweet friend was there to calm me so that I could calm my girl.
After the naptime chaos, I knew Daddy would have to help with bedtime.  Thankfully, she was so tired from no nap and the stress of the day, her bedtime woes only lasted 30 minutes.

For the past 5 days, she has done remarkably well as long as we keep the routine exactly the same each time she sleeps.  But every time I get ready to put her in her crib, she sweetly asks, "do you have my binkies?"  I calmly respond, "no more binkies."  Each time she asks, she pulls at my heart and causes me a little sadness.  I suspect this sadness is more about the passage of another baby stage and less to do with the actual binkies.  

I am so grateful to my sweet friend who had the great idea and helped me carry out the binky removal plan.  If it was up to me I am sure she would still have a binky in kindergarten.  


1 comment:

Gabrielle said...

It was my pleasure to do this for you. A rite of passage in your household to go with me to the build a bear store. Except she got to do something a little special. This does mean she is not a baby anymore and growing into a little girl! Kind of makes me a little sad but happy too.