16 October 2013

more


I remember the day each of my children learn to sign more with their hands rather than scream and cry for more food.   I more vividly remember the day each one of them transferred the sign of more to something other than food.

For my first babe, it happened on a warm spring day on the lake.  We had been boating and when we all decided to stop for a break, she proudly turned to us and signed for more.  We were delighted and the boating went on all day.  

My second is a bit more fuzzy of a memory clouded by many sleepless nights, but I do remember her love of swinging on our backyard swing.  She enjoyed swinging so high for a little toddler of just a year.  We would stop the pushing and she would come to rest on the swing and then quickly sign for more.  She swung high and fast many afternoons.  

My third girl just did it tonight.  It brought such happiness to me to watch her communicate her wishes to me through signing for something other than food.  We sat in the rocker together before bed and I began to sing some lullabies before putting her to bed.  As we rocked and I sang, she gently put her head down on my shoulder.  By the time the song was over, I thought she had fallen asleep.  Just as I stopped rocking to get up and put her to bed, she jolted upright and starred me in the eyes.  I then noticed her little hands signing more.  I was overjoyed to know she wanted me to sing more.  I continued to sing through my repertoire of songs and she kept signing more at the end of each one.  It was a delightful exchange I will never forget.


This wonderful little transitional time between signing and talking is ever-so-sweet.  I am enjoying it more than ever with No.3.  Perhaps, it is because I am aware of how sweet but fleeting this beautiful time is, plus the memories of No.1 & No.2 pop up and accompany No.3's experiences and add to all the joy. 

Go ahead and ask for more.  I am excited to communicate with you, my dears.

No comments: