30 March 2012

playing with fire {ants}

I turned my back for a minute to take some photos of the most amazing wildflowers while I was out in the greenbelt with my girls.  I thought they were sweetly smelling the flowers and picking the few that are ok to pick.  When I turned around I found them crouched down fiddling with something on the ground.
They both had large chunky sticks and were intently focused on what they were doing while ignoring my calls.  When I got to where they were, I found them playing with huge ants.  My big girl was pounding the ground with her stick as the little one watched intently.  Then the little one began stuffing the flowers she had picked down the hole of the mound.  Both were totally unafraid and unaware of how badly a fire ant can itch and sting.   
For a moment while I snapped this photo, I was in absolute disbelief that they weren't upset by the largest ants I have ever seen, but instead were happily beating them with sticks and stuffing flowers down their ant hole.  

Thankfully, we all escaped before they got too mad about their hole being plugged up with magenta-colored flowers.

1 comment:

Gabrielle said...

They are SO focused on their task. Especially the little one. Look at her face!! Big girl is happy to expose the little one to this!