24 March 2011

the "uh-uh" stage

uh-uh
interj. Informal
Used to express disagreement or an answer in the negative

"uh-uh" was just proudly uttered from her mouth when I asked her NOT to play on the stairs

We have hit the uh-uh stage in our house.  This stage is also more commonly known as the "no" stage.  It is the stage when a young child answers "no" to everything -- or in our house the young child answers "uh-uh."  

Our little one is not very verbal and uses a lot of grunting, screeching and sign language to communicate with everyone.  Recently, she has begun to answer "uh-uh" to everything.  This is most definitely her "no" stage.

With my second child, I have found this stage quite hilarious.  My girl answers "uh-uh" to everything without even a thought.  Now, with my first one, I wasn't as amused by this negative verbal stage and was happy when it ceased.  

For now, I just have to laugh at our conversations throughout the day.  I am so proud that she has found a new way to communicate with us.

Common conversations with her sounds a little like this:

Momma: "Do you want to go outside?"
Little one: "Uh-uh."
Momma: "Ok, we will just stay inside and play."
      little one then goes to the door and cries to go outside

Momma: "Do you want to sit in your sister's carseat while she is away at school?"
Little one: "Uh-uh."
Momma: "Let's get you buckled into your seat."
     little one cries and runs to the other side of the car and wildly climbs into her sister's carseat.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

So cute! At least she is trying to provide humor for your day. Do we find stuff more humorous with our second since we know that life will go and eventually this will pass too?

Gabrielle said...

Uh-uh to everything I guess is some form of communication.