23 February 2011

Small Spaces

Yes, that's right! 

Our family of 4 stayed in a living space of 122 sq. feet for an entire week and we have all lived to tell about it!
Somehow we all fit.  I am still not sure exactly how the contents of 4 suitcases fit inside this tiny space.  The cabin was like The Container Store.  Every nook and cranny was filled with shelves, cabinets, hanging space and organized little drawers. 

Sleeping:
For sleeping, my oldest daughter got the bunk that folded down from the ceiling.  There was the tiniest little rail to keep her from falling.  I was skeptical about how a 4-year-old would comply with this type of arrangement but she did great.  We called it her little tree house to sleep in.
My youngest slept in a Pack n Play that was shoved against the little couch.  She slept very well there. Thankfully, there was a curtain that separated her sleeping quarters from ours.  This helped a ton!  
And we slept in the bed.  It was amazing how it all worked out.  By the third night, everyone was out cold within 5 minutes.  {I am sure the rocking of the boat had something to do with it.}

Eating:
Most days, we ate outside our room.  There wasn't much space to do anything much less eat in our cabin.  On the days that we had to leave the ship early, we ordered room service for breakfast.  Breakfast on a tiny little desk with lots of options for picky eaters gave no room to spare.  It looked something like this.
I don't know how we kept it all straight.  It seemed like we had food or kids everywhere!

Entertainment for kids that need to play:
The room had a large circle window above our bed. 

It was a life-saver!  The kids spend endless hours there peacefully playing.  It had a wide ledge that the kids loved rolling their cars on.  This provided many hours of entertainment.  

Coloring and pretend talking on the phone also helped entertain our restless kids at sea.

Bathing my girls who like baths in a tiny stand-up shower stall:
This little ducky saved the day when it came time to take a bath.  

It also provided a little playtime at the end of the day.

By the end of the week we were definitely ready to spread out again at home.  Living in 122 sq. feet for a week was definitely an interesting experience with a 4-year-old who wants her own space and her little sister to wants to be in her big sister's space.

4 comments:

Lareina said...

Wow! We've felt cramped in hotels before, but that's amazingly small! I love the large window what a view. I can't wait to cruise one day:)

Sara said...

Wow! I've never been on a cruise and didn't know how it would logistically work with 2 little ones. Now I know it can be done! It looks like you guys had so much fun and lots of bonding time in that little room/closet!

Wendy said...

Thank you for posting more pictures from your trip! It amazes me how some people don't have much more space to live in on a regular basis and how we connect in a different way when confined to smaller spaces together. It looks like you embraced the space! I love your idea for the shower! Very creative!

Gabrielle said...

Those photos are so cute of the girls! You did well!!