22 October 2010

This little light of mine...

Recently, we (the children) are having major troubles sitting at the table for mealtimes.  This is a peeve of mine.  I like my children to sit at the table while we eat.  You may get up when the meal is done or when you are excused.

We have begun using a little candle to signal the beginning and end of mealtimes, especially dinner.  My girl helps light the candle at the beginning of the meal and when the candle is lit, she must stay in her chair at the table.  At the end of the meal, she may blow the candle out and leave the table.
It has worked wonders and saved many a reprimand.  I am always amazed at how a visual cue can really help.

Plus, the candle holder has become a collecting place for all the innocent blooms picked by excited hands on our evening walks.

3 comments:

Lareina said...

What a wonderful idea! We have been coming into some horrible dinnertimes ourselves. I truly think that Taylor has decided to give us a run-for-our-money until he turns four!

Wendy said...

What a great idea! It seems like either she wants to play the entire time or not eat at all and wants down as soon as prayers are done.

Sara said...

great idea! I'm going to try this! There is a great disparity in our house between the time Leili thinks dinner is done and when we're actually done and the time in-between is not much fun.