13 September 2010

Sunrise

On a recent trip, I had the pleasure of seeing the sun rise.  I never see the sun rise.  Many days I am up before the sun, but I never see it rise.  Normally, I am too busy with little ones that require immediate attention in the early morning hours.

I read a quote some time ago that said something about every person should see the sun rise at least once a year...it is inspiring, soul-cleansing, etc.  I remember reading that and thinking what could be so magical about being up so early to actually see the sun's arrival in our sky.

I am not a morning person.  Yes, I can put on a happy face and demeanor in the early morning, but I am not a morning person.  My face is puffy, my eyes are droopy and the fog of not getting enough sleep consumes me in the morning.

Seeing the sun rise a couple weeks ago changed my thoughts about the morning.  There was something so peaceful and calming about seeing the bright orange rays peer into the purplish-blue sky.  It helped me start my day in a positive mood and I quickly forgot about the child that didn't sleep well and woke before the sun.

I haven't seen the sun rise again since this morning but I have vowed to make a point of seeing it more often.  Its calm and soothing effects have stuck with me through the busy days.

When was the last time you saw the sun rise?

2 comments:

Lareina said...

How bad is it that I can't remember the last sunrise that I've seen...but I do remember the best one I've ever seen. It was 2002 and Andrew and I were in Maui on top of a volcano at sunrise-it was freezing up that high and at 4:30am, but the sunrise was breathtaking. The bike ride down the volcano was just as beautiful!! Great post:)

MySanSouci said...

I have heard about that ride and the awesome sunrise there... How neat you experienced it in person!