22 March 2015

springtime strawberry, cucumber & mint salad

In our neck of the woods, strawberries are plentiful and sweet this time of year.  After some warmer days, sunshine and a few good rains, my mint is bounding out of it's pot with fresh leaves a plenty.  In my half-hearted attempts to eat seasonally with my family, I put together a little springtime salad with what we had on hand.

Mixing together strawberries, cucumber slices cut into quarters and fresh mint leaves, 
turned into a refreshing salad that my whole family devoured.  
With the mint added, no dressing is needed.  
(for the mint, I just cut it finely with our kitchen shears -- 
I find it far easier to cut herbs rather than chop them)

On a side note, it is incredibly easy to grow mint.  My mother refers to it as a weed.  It can grow almost anywhere.  Mine in thriving in a dilapidated old pot that has been chewed on by the dog on our back deck.  It is wonderful to have on hand to embellish fruit and vegetable salads alike.




1 comment:

Gabrielle said...

Looks fresh and delicious!