02 September 2014

sending her off

This year I broke my keep-my-babies-at-home-until-they-are-three mantra and sent our youngest off to preschool.  I questioned myself for months leading up to her first day of preschool.  Being the youngest, we decided that she needed a little more, a little earlier than her siblings.  

Off she went with a backpack filled to the brim with diapers, spare clothing, a water bottle and her lunch tote.  She stayed with no tears as I jetted out of a packed room with anxious parents and crying children.  As I left, I wondered if they knew her name and who she was.  Did they know she was mine and not some younger sibling that had gotten lost roaming the halls?  She doesn't even say her name yet.  I almost turned back but decided that it was best if I just left.  Turing back might complicate things for the both of us.  
Before we left for school, I reminded her to be kind to all the other children.  She immediately pointed to her hair and I said, "Yes, please don't pull anyone's hair.  That hurts."  She nodded and seemed to understand everything I said to her.  As I turned out of the parking lot this morning, I said a little no hair-pulling prayer about my girl and hoped all her good traits would shine today.

Well, when I arrived to pick her up,  I could tell by the look on the assistant teacher's face that my dear child had been pulling hair.  I was very embarrassed and concerned that she didn't mind hair-pulling outside the confines of our home.  Despite my being upset about her hair-pulling report, she was eager to tell me about "sliding down" and "sand."  Underneath her little fingernails were filthy when I got her.  She had definitely been digging in the sand and dirt.

She arrived home and wanted to eat and play.  There is something calming about just playing at home for this child.  As she wound down from her first day at preschool, we read books and sang songs before nap-time.

Overall, it was a successful first day for both of us with no tears.  Whew!  Now, we just have to work on this nasty hair-pulling habit!

1 comment:

Gabrielle said...

We love you little L but please don't pull hair. You will get it down soon. And look at what a big girl you are now! (Mom you made the right decision)