19 March 2014

milestone

milestone: an action or event marking a significant change or stage in development

On a quiet morning in the middle of town, she had the nerve to give it a try.  She reached far and used all her strength to finally accomplish the monkey bars.  Without fear of ridicule from peers or siblings, she did it.  On her own time, she did it!  When I walked up,  she beamed as she skittered around the mulch, "Momma, I can do the monkey bars!"  "Look, I can do it!"  Delighted, we all stood to watch her cross the monkey bars.

Since that day, she has worked up enough courage to practice the monkey bars at school with her friends.  Each day, she comes home and proudly tells us how many times she was able to cross those bars.  Each day, the grin gets bigger and her hands become more blistered and calloused. 

As a parents, tit is so neat to witness your child growing, overcoming fears and accomplishing new feats on their own.  Now, we just have to figure out how to get some monkey bars in our yard...at her pleasant request!