Well, we are back in the saddle again. Off to school. Another year on the horizon. New beginnings, teachers and friends.
I am incredibly happy she was ready to go this morning. I gently woke her before the sunrise and whispered, "today is your first day of school, time to get up, rise and shine." She looked up at me, smiled and said, "today isn't the first day, we already went to school together last week for my first day...we went together, remember, you and me?" I was overjoyed to know she wasn't nervous about today. In her mind, we already faced the first day together, last week at Meet-the-Teacher.
She sleepily got dressed and decided she would like to wear her hair down in a headband. I held my tongue and let her pick out the headband she wanted to wear. She proudly brushed her hair with only a little help in the back from me. For breakfast, she ate what she always eats on the first days of school: yogurt, granola and berries in the fancy blue glass bowl. Just like her mother (a ball of nerves on first days), she only took a tiny bite and decided that was enough. She tied her shoes all by herself this year and reminded me that we needed to take photos in the front yard before leaving.
It was nice to meet today with a sense of relief. Already knowing the school and all the procedures made us all feel peaceful and less worried about the first day. Although she still clutched tight to my hand when we made our way into the overcrowded school, she walked confidently into her new classroom, found her locker and put her things away. She was ready.
I had to laugh as her little sister guided her up the sidewalk and across the street to school this morning. She walked proudly with you, giving pep talks along the way and holding the picture she drew for your teacher.
Despite your constant summertime quarrels, she will miss you immensely today.
When we got back into the car to go home, I felt that familiar tightness in my throat that seems to arise with emotions about my children, something related to them growing up and a passage of time -- all too quick. This year she is no longer a kindergartner. She is growing fast and strong, ready for everything. She is moving forward and I am so proud, despite a few tears {from Momma} along the way.
Happy first day to all of you!
.jpg)
.jpg)
+(2).jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)

.jpg)

1 comment:
Aww I am so glad to see E helping M out with her first day!! What a great first day!! THE FIRST OF MANY!!
Post a Comment