01 June 2011

GONE.

They are gone.  We finally took the leap, which feels more like a dive into the deep dark trenches of parenthood.

She is making motor boat sounds with her little Binky-less mouth now in the crib.  This after an hour of crying and asking where the "bubees" are.  Now and then desperate cries for "Mama" or "Dada" fill the speakers of the monitor that lies on my dresser.  When the red lights fill to their maximum my heart breaks for my girl who doesn't really understand.

I always thought getting rid of the Binky would be easy.  I had listened to stories about friends who had done it and it didn't really seem that bad.  After all, they can't walk around with Binkies forever.

I called my folks for consolation and guidance like I always do.  It didn't help when their advice was "Oh, just give them to her.  How can you stand to hear her cry?  Poor girl."  Those were my feelings exactly!

It is going to be a long night.

She did so well this evening when we told her to retrieve them from her room so we could pitch them into the garbage.  She happily made her way down the stairs with three Binkies in her little hands.  She seemed to understand when we told her that she was a big girl now and big girls don't use Binkies.
She didn't hesitate when we told her to throw them away.  She didn't flinch when she saw her beloved binkies  fall into the heap of trash in the bottom of the can.  But...who could resist being so brave with the attention of her big sister watching.
Bye, bye binkies and thank you for your many months of service to our little babe.

On our last trip to her room this evening, she looked up at us with tears in her eyes and streaming down her red puffy face and said, "Ahh Don."  She then quietly laid down.

I never dreamed this would be so hard.  All these decisions that lay on our hearts as parents consume so much.

I will remember this night forever.

4 comments:

Lareina said...

I understand your mixed and conflicted feelings...it's so hard! All will be back to normal soon, hold strong, and it will over before you know it!

Sara said...

I know it's so hard right now, but it will get better! It's so hard not to second guess the decision you make as a parent to help your little ones along, but trust in yourself, you are a wonderful mama! Hang in there!

Wendy said...

It breaks my heart to read this post, but hang in there. She has probably gotten over them by the time you read this comment. Be strong and know that you are doing a good thing!

Gabrielle said...

OOOHHH poor little babe!! So glad she said All Done!