22 May 2011

holding back laughter

I was overcome with hysterical laughter this morning at church.  I realize that during a church service is not the best place to be consumed with hysteria, tears and laughter but that is where it happened.

As we were sitting below the altar listening to the children's sermon {at our church, the children are called up during the service to hear the children's message -- most parents come along to sit with their children, or in my case, to manage the behavior of my little one}, my babe decided that she needed to go back to our pew to retrieve her diaper bag.  I confidently ignored this behavior and decided that I would model proper behavior during the children's sermon rather than cause a scene in front of the entire congregation.

After a minute, she trudged back up to the font of the church dragging her diaper bag behind.  I acknowledged her reappearance and asked her to sit and listen to the pastor's message.  She stubbornly sat down behind me with the diaper bag.  She beamed with smiles.  Again, I neglected to listen to that little voice inside and just ignored her behavior.  Model, model, model...and maybe, just maybe she would do what she should and sit nicely and listen.
Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I noticed that my girl was laying a diaper out on the floor.  I felt hot redness surging all over my body.  But again, I chose not to engage her...at least she was quiet.  I looked again after I noticed a fellow mother catch my eye and giggle.  When I turned around my girl was laying down on top of the diaper and grabbing her crotch and laughing.


I lost it.
  
Laughing...
Hysteria...
Disbelief that this was MY child...
Embarrassment at what others might think of MY behavior...
Tears streamed down my face worst than a good cry...










 via
I quietly told her that I could not change her diaper {which was not wet, by the way} and asked her to put her things away.  Again, I turned my back and out of complete desperation, I just listened to the end of the story.

When it was time to return to our pew, my girl had put all her things away and emphatically insisted on dragging the diaper bag back to the pew.

When I sat down, I breathed a huge sigh of relief. 
Hallelujah!  

Dear me, under pressure, I don't do well and it seems that laughter always erupts.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

So funny! Our little ones definitely pick unique moments to teach us humility. :)

Anonymous said...

G would have been so proud! I totally get the giggles at the absolutely worst times!

Gabrielle said...

Good job mom!! She is really the one to test you!