01 April 2011

The roses and depression glass

I have always loved roses that grow in gardens (I am not a big fan of the overused cliché  bouquets that pop up in stores when Valentine's Day or Mother's Day rolls around).  You know, the lush and fragrant variety seen in beautiful gardens.  I vividly remember on a study trip to Germany all the roses that hung heavily from their thorn-filled stems in late May and early June.  Give me a fresh bouquet from a garden any day -- even if it is just a few measly little weeds with flowers.  There is nothing like a hand-picked bouquet.


This particular bouquet comes from my Mother's ever-bountiful garden.  She recalls that this rose bush was "saved" from the trash of a friend who didn't want it anymore.  Years later, it is the most beautiful plant with the most abundant roses.


 



What makes this bouquet even more beautiful is the vintage green depression glass candy dish that is resting in.  This wonderful green glass was found at a garage sale.  Once I saw it I knew it was old and I knew I could make it useful.  It was missing it's lid but the glass bowl was like new with the prettiest little designs in the glass.  After some research, I found that the glass was made by the Anchor Hocking glass company in the 1930s and it is depression glass.  I also found a couple other pieces:  3 miscellaneous lids and another flatter bowl.
I just love the light green color and even though I have a bunch of miscellaneous pieces, it will be fun to see how I can utilize them in my home.

I just love a good garage sale find -- especially finding something old and making it "new" in my home.

Have you ever had an amazing garage sale find?

1 comment:

Jen McD said...

I have pink depression glass set that my grandmother gave me!! I'll post pics so you can see. I always put it out at Eater!