03 March 2011

Coloring...please don't help me!

This morning as I was helping my big girl get ready for school, I noticed my little one sitting at the kitchen table.  Normally, I don't let her sit at there without a booster chair for fear she may fall.
When I looked at her, I was pleasantly surprised at how stable she looked sitting at the table.  Usually, if I catch her sitting at the table, she is perched in some awkward position that requires some immediate attention to avoid a serious accident.
Seeing that she was in a safe position, I continued helping my big girl.  I assumed that my little one was just fiddling with the straw place-mats on the table that fascinate her.  
When it came time to get in the car for the trip to preschool, I walked over and noticed what she was doing...
she was coloring all by herself!
I was so incredibly surprised!  My little one has never colored before.  Every other time we have tried to color, she insists in eating the crayons or markers.  This time it was different (I am sure it was because it was her idea and not mine...little stinker!)
She actually made marks on the paper.  And also seemed to understand how to put the marker caps on the ends of the markers.
I was in total disbelief!  Of course my big girl was not happy about her sister coloring in her spiral and with her markers that she had neatly left on the table for after-school.
I continue to be amazed at how kids will set their own pace for everything.  They will not be pushed and will do all things when they are ready (not necessarily when their older sibling was ready).

Of course I couldn't resist these sweet feet dangling from a chair that is entirely too tall for a 1-year-old.
Needless to say, we were a little late to school that day!

2 comments:

Lareina said...

I love early scribbles and exploration! Too cute!

Gabrielle said...

Too cute!!!