12 January 2011

A new favorite

I am a huge fan of children's books that teach a life-lesson, moral or any other hard-to-teach value/manner.  My mother used to read me this German book:
It is from 1845, yes, that's right....1845!  
It is full of little tales about the consequences of bad behavior, habits and manners.  The lessons can seem a bit harsh but it was a great teaching tool and kept me out of trouble!
Some of the illustrations are quite brutal.  I especially remember this one:
It is the tale about the kid who sucked his thumb and then had it cut off because he wouldn't quit the bad habit.  I was a thumb-sucker and this little tale scared me!

As my girl gets a little older, I expect more of her.  We have found a new book that we are both excited to read each night that goes over manners and being polite. 
Unlike the harsh German book from my youth, it teaches polite manners in a sweet and pleasant way.
It goes over everything from greetings, table manners, manners at school, with friends, etc.  The illustrations are darling like all the wonderful books by John Bemelmans.   It is a fabulous teaching tool and my daughter seems excited to learn more each night.  I have even found her practicing some of her newly acquired manners in public. {happy, happy, happy}


1 comment:

Gabrielle said...

She is such a delight to go with to different places. I love her so much!