26 January 2011

Along with a birthday comes a well-check...


Whew!  We did it. {It took the whole family}  

After 4 pokes, a trip to the potty, hearing beeps in our ears, reading a chart, feeling a tight cuff on our arm, answering many questions and telling a few stories, we made it out of the doctor's office alive.

Yes, we had the dreaded well-check today for my big girl.  It was a BIG one to say the least.

It is so hard to explain to a young child why an immunization is a good thing.  We have been reading this book and it really does a good job of going over what a well-check is.  It also talks about why an immunization is needed to keep you healthy.  Thank you Stan and Jan!

We absolutely love our pediatrician's office.  It is the perfect mix of experienced doctors, kind pediatric nurses (you know, the older ones that seem like a mother to the whole family) and a friendly atmosphere.  Normally our visits there are quite pleasant but today it was just horrible.

You see, this is the visit where they get the child ready for mainstream schooling.  They take many tests to make sure the child is healthy for school.  Our poor girl did great during all of it but as soon as we stepped out the back door of the office she broke down into uncontrollable sobbing.  Her feelings were so hurt.  A trip to her favorite sorbetto shop and restaurant didn't even begin to erase the memories of today.  Poor kid...

Thankfully the doctor reassured her that she wouldn't need any more pokes until she was a teenager.  {Thank heavens!}

On a side note:  It was neat to see my girl interact with our pediatrician.  She was anxious to tell him about stubbing her toe, the foods she eats, alphabet, numbers, colors and more.  The independence of the child was definitely at the fore-front of this visit.  I just ordered this cute chore chart to promote some more independence and responsibility at home.

2 comments:

Abby said...

I made Daddy do that doctor visit. I knew I would make it worse. Chuck E. Cheese afterwards cured everything! Moms need a margarita after a visit like that. I just got a Melissa and Doug chore chart as well. We will see if I can remember to do it every day! :)

Wendy said...

It tugs at my heart that she cried after this visit. It always amazes me what bothers them and what doesn't. I hope she continues to be fascinated by the doctor and enjoy future visits!