16 April 2010

Just Itching...

Oh, I am just itching  to get outside and refinish a piece of furniture, old iron bed, or anything for that matter.  I absolutely LOVE finding old furniture and iron bed frames and refinishing them to suit my decor and taste.  It is sort of like making something that is old, new again.  It is extremely satisfying and I find so much pleasure in it.  My last project, before the babe came, was spray painting an old iron bed that I purchased at an estate sale for a mere $40.  It was in its original condition with white paint that had been chipping.  I decided to give it an updated look with a coat of chocolate brown.  It turned out better than I could have imagined.  It is one of my favorite pieces.  It will be the babe's big bed when she moves out of the crib.

This is not the best picture, but you get the gist.  It has a lovely basket weave pattern in iron on the head and foot boards.  I just love the superior quality of iron beds...especially with children.  They can't break them!  They are so incredibly sturdy and simply timeless.

Now, I just have to find the time to look for some unwanted piece that begs to be re-purposed and refinished!

What are you itching to do now that spring has arrived and afforded us more time outside?

Side Note:  Many old iron beds might have lead paint on them,  it is important to follow the proper paint removal techniques before painting to ensure the lead is gone.

No comments: