23 February 2010

Charming Charm Tales...

My cousin was lucky enough to acquire a beautiful antique charm bracelet while she was travelling in Birmingham some time ago.  The bracelet was actually in a pile of gold pieces that were going to be melted down and sold.  She pleaded with the jewlery shop owner to "save" the fantastic charm bracelet and purchased it for it's weight.  This extraordinary charm bracelet chronicles the life-events of a young woman in England.  Clearly, charms were added that signified some important event in her life.  My cousin was so moved by the story that this beautiful charm bracelet told.  She eventually wrote a book about this fantastic story of charms.  She just published the book, 33 Bits, last year.  It is a lovely story.  Her primary intention for writing the story was to hopefully locate the owner or relatives of this exquisite bracelet.  It is an admirable undertaking and I applaud her efforts ( I would probably selfishly keep the gorgeous bracelet ).  If you get a chance to read her book, it is fabulous.  Perhaps you know someone in England that longs for her lost bracelet?


After hearing about my cousin's find, I vowed to start charm bracelets for my children (if I ever had any girls).  I have successfully begun charm bracelets for both my girls.  We enjoy adding special charms to signify special events in their lives.  Perhaps their bracelets will tell the story of their lives someday.  I also love supporting a local jewelry store in our area who makes some of the loveliest sterling silver charms.   Do you have a charm bracelet?  What do the charms on your bracelet signify?

1 comment:

Sara said...

Wow that is such a great story about your cousin, the bracelet, and the book! And what a special gift for your girls - I like the charm bracelet idea!